5/25/09

Versailles

"I can walk down the hall of mirrors in Versailles, and be so satisfied when I look myself in the eye" - Jay z

When hearing the above lyric I felt personally challenged by the greatest rapper alive.  Part of the dynamic quality of hip-hop is that we fans voluntarily listen to threats, outlandish boasts, and demeaning insults.  One can either classify the messages as worthy of censorship, as something to embrace, or as a standard by which to grade success.  I have not selected the measuring stick of 20 inch rims and Luis Vuitton backpacks but I have adopted a few choice accomplishments of the artists as my own.  Visiting Versailles and assessing my life to date was a goal.  At a fresh 24 years of age, I did so, and felt so satisfied.


1 comment:

Valerie said...

so glad you visited Versailles. my time at Versailles was the most memorable.

i still choke up when i think of a visual "picture" i took as i rode in the canoe facing the palace. the scene was so peaceful and serene. i told myself "remember this view, when you're in your old age you can appreciate the life you've lived." what a beautiful memory.

i hope you're enjoying your time in france and making amazing memories as well.