1/21/10

Crimson Tide

In hindsight, sitting among the Alabama fans was a gift not a curse. It made the loss less bitter, as odd as that may seem, because we could see and feel the anxiety caused by the near comeback. Behind us sat older alumni and at our feet were younger alumni. They were loud and proud - at least for the 1st half of the game. We made friends by chatting about the two teams and offering our insights into what would ensue. We did our best to be ambassadors for our own school. It was surely difficult at times and when sitting among the enemy one must always be aware of his surroundings. However, at game's end the Bama fans earned my respect. They were relieved in victory but understood our loss. As true fans, we had cheered when winning and losing. As a result, I had multiple fans shake my hand, sincerely wishing us well. I must add that my cousin experienced the complete opposite treatment from the Bamas. With mild reservation due to my cousin's experience, I opine that, despite it's history, the University of Alabama, in the year 2010, was well-represented on and off the field.

No comments: