7/10/08

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Cahuita - Costa Rica

Having departed the water taxi and piled into the back of a jeep we arrived at the border crossing, The cross from Panama to Costa Rica was relatively easy. With keen awareness for the man-sized cracks in the engineering masterpiece, we walked across the bridge into our second country. The only slight inconvenience was the deliberate inefficiency of the obviously frustrated-moody-power wielding woman in charge of the most important object to a traveller - the border stamp. after max's scowls and my insincere "gracias" we again caught the jeep into Puerto Viejo de Talamanca.

Our hostel Rocking J's was a work of art - literally. Nearly every surface of the property is ornamented by a broken-tile mosaic. It is both visually colorful and filled with colorful people. Given the option of a tent or a hammock we all went with the latter. Writing only for my own perspective, the hammocks were welcome, peaceful, and comfortable.

The move to the beach upon arrival was nearly immediate. We waded in the clear blue water under the hottest sun we have encountered on our trip. Walking a little further down the cove we proceeded to find a beautiful black sand beach. From afar the beach seemed dirty and unnatractive. yet, upclose the sand exhibits a sparkle and purity that is really unexpected. Food and a cold shower brought the day to a close.

On the second day, having fallen asleep early after a long day of travel, Max and I awakened early to be productive. A quick bite gave us the energy and inspiration for a quick workout. We ran the length of the still desolate beach. A few miles and a few push ups in the organic gym was refreshing. Following the run we made reservations for some more snorkeling in Cahuita. We caught the dollar bus and met our guide. The local costarriequense took us out to explore some amazing coral reefs. Fish, large and small, colorful and achromatic, congregated near the extensive coral. In one spot in particular the undercurrents of the ocean were more powerful and quick maneuvering prevented us from getting scraped up by the coral. The smaller fish, brown with luminescent blue spots, were my favorites.

Imperial beer, billiards, and reggae filled our night. The light local beer seems to lack flavor and potency. Although I am reluctant to admit, it seems I forget to pack my pool skills for this trip. My record is somewhere around 0 - 3. I have excuses but will only expound upon request. The reggae club lacked the energy for which I had hoped. The music was solid but the club always remained only on the verge of becoming rowdy. Regardless, I danced by mimicking, improvising, and blending styles. In other words, I tried to look like I knew what I was doing.
An account of our experiences in Puerto Viejo would not be complete without mentioning the the two new friends we made in the town. Our common interests for education, travel, witty-conversation, and the pursuit of a good time led us to meet and be together for three days. I have met few people with the disarming acumen that they possess. One of the most influential aspects of travelling is still, by far, coming in contact with passionate and experienced individuals - just like our friends from England. Genuinely caring, they are a reminder of what is beautiful.

This afternoon we arrived in San Jose, Costa Rica. The day was essentially spent travelling and reenergizing for the next few days ahead. Daily updates will proceed as I am back among the straight edges of the city life.

7 comments:

Lori said...

HI Koki Really enjoy reading your experiences on your trip. You truly are an inspiration to all your cousins. I hope they can follow you and gain some insight on experiencing a different part of the world. Uncle Mark visited Costa Rica last year and loved it. It was a fishing expedition. I heard it is the neww paradise! Love you always, Nina

Juanita said...

Hi Koki, I'm at Manuel's reading about your adventures. I was in San Jose on a cruise ship stop. I wish you a safe trip with Max and may God be with you. Love you, Grandma

Juanita said...

Hey Koki, Wow, your trip is really an adventure! What great experiences you're having. Stay safe. Love you, tia Juanita

Mom said...

Hi Koki, What an awesome adventure you and Max are enjoying! I look forward to reading about your day. I wanted to be sure to be included on this page ... since it is the page that includes all the women you have known the longest. Take care and be safe. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

ok you are putting me to shame, with all your updates... first i cant write as good as you do and secondly i could never keep up with the writing and updates... good for you, so i just read this for the first time and it seems you are enjoying every minute of it... im gonna go to guatemala and costa rica this xmas break so im excited! well be safe and keep up the updates...love you, erika

Anonymous said...

ok you are putting me to shame, with all your updates... first i cant write as good as you do and secondly i could never keep up with the writing and updates... good for you, so i just read this for the first time and it seems you are enjoying every minute of it... im gonna go to guatemala and costa rica this xmas break so im excited! well be safe and keep up the updates...love you, erika

angiebaby said...

Roel - Tonight was my first chance to read your blog, I am so glad I did, thanks for updating on Facebook so we can know when to check back. I chose to post here because I spent a summer in Costa Rica and really enjoyed our time in Puerto Viejo. My big city sisters and I had to rent bicyles to get into town because the taxidrivers were on strike! We still laugh about it, 13 years later. Really enjoy your writing, looking forward to future posts! Your friend from SMU, Angie