6/27/08

Tha' Carter...High School

In a few minutes I will drive to Carter High School for the last time as the facilitator of the Academic Success Program. This notion leads me to post a few words about my students.

Yesterday, we said our goodbyes as we all head in a different direction toward a new beginning. One will go West (Occidental College), one will go to the Midwest (Illinois Institute of Technology), some will go to the Northeast (Babson College, Syracuse University, Dartmouth), and some of us will stay local (SFA, UTA, The University of Texas, Texas Law).

These students have risen above expectations to accomplish their own personal goals. The strength and resolve they have shown compels me to continue following my dreams as well.

My trip to Central America is in many ways inspired by and for my students at Carter High School.

3 comments:

Mr. C. said...

WOW Roel! What an exciting time for you. You never cease to amaze me. I know God will have his hand on your journey. I will pray for you and Max daily. When you reach McAllen, call me, I might be there - I travel down there alot for work. God Speed, Roel!

Mr. C.

mz. drake said...

Hey Mr. Garcia,
I am REALLY gonna' miss seeing you at CARTER High- but unfortunately all good things must come to an end. It's been a pleasure knowing you and I hope June 2008 isn't the last time you step foot in Carter. It is my prayer that you continue to be successful in your future endeavors, and blessings go with you and Max on your trip... Have a GREAT time!!!

-Sharonda D.

Steven said...

good luck with the trip mr.G I hope you see you in Honduras....make sure you contact me when you get in via email so we can meet up!