8/8/09

Perfect Harmony

The beach is ordinary, the carnival is simple, and the food plain. Yet, Coney Island is one of the most incredible places I have ever visited. It is the people that make it special. The location hosts a collection of fascinating human beings. Wide ranges of age, size, color, weight, culture, and style are apparent. It is a bustling ant farm for any deity that might exist. It seems almost experimental, as if a mad scientist was testing the interactions between dissimilar subjects. The beach is overwhelmingly frequented by the working class, giving the whole scene an authenticity lacking among the meat-packing district types of the best parts of Manhattan. Each person is unique, blaringly so, and apparently disinterested in fitting a predetermined mold. My heart was filled by the sights that entered my eyes. I could have sat along the boardwalk and observed for the entire day. I soaked in the diversity until I felt had sufficient reserves for my eventual return back to de facto segregated Texas. It was a utopia, not because everything was perfect, but because imperfect people enjoyed a Saturday among one another in harmony. What an extraordinary place.


No comments: