11/29/09

12th Person

Longhorns fans, we need to get it together. Seriously. There is something at which A&M is absolutely, no doubt about it, embarrassingly better than us: CHEERING. I don't expect us to bend over and sway, nor do I want us to whoop!, nor should all of our traditional chants revolve around another school, but we have to effect a game the way that Aggie fans do. I could feel it. Way up in the elevation of section 532, in between nosebleeds and spells of oxygen sickness, I was overwhelmed by the noise. The Aggies call it the 12th Man. I call it the politically correct 12th Person. By any name, we need what they have, and that is a crowd that makes for an incredible college football atmosphere. Combined with the sea of purple-brown-maroon, the white towels waving, and the all-male cheerleading team it also makes for an intimidating if not chaotic one as well.

No comments: