11/9/09

Real Art

I have conceded that Jackson Pollack paintings constitute art (follow me here). I have reluctantly given up fighting on the matter, but I personally find the end product itself to be unworthy of respect. The reason: I can create his art. I highly respect that which I can not do. Last Friday, I travelled to Ft. Worth to watch my cousin play for the NCAA division 1 San Diego State women's soccer team. She is a student-athlete and a good one at that. She is doing something I didn't do and something many couldn't ever have done. Over the course of my younger cousin's life I have been a distant witness to her work ethic, the years of playing club soccer, the deflating injuries, playing time challenges, the defeats and triumphs. I watched with extreme pride as her dream came to fruition on that field in Ft. Worth under the soccer stadium lights. It was art in motion and an accomplishment for which I have the utmost respect.

No comments: