11/29/09

Aggie Deer

Why did the deer cross the highway? Because it was an Aggie. Comedic relief aside for a sentence, Brian and I are safe. We figured that driving home from the game during the late hours of the night would be the smart choice considering we needed to study for finals. I have since reconsidered the soundness of that decision. I have learned that no journey is complete until in bed at home. This is so because many times, the return is the hardest part. The details are ordinary: 70 mph (the speed limit), the lane closest to the shoulder, and within the Houston city limits. Then it hit. The damn deer must have just done its Christmas shopping because we were right in front of Katy Mills mall when it happened. I also know this because it was carrying presents in its attempt to get to the tree-filled area on the other side of the freeway. The Aggie deer hit us mid-air. It futilely jumped over the concrete wall dividing the feeder road from the Highway. This is the theory I have constructed based on the evidence we have. Neither of us saw Bambi prior to the deer slobber on the windshield. Lucky for us, because obviously we were brandishing the luck of the Irish at this point, there was a Denny's restaurant a couple concrete wall climbs away so we were able to enjoy a Grandslam Breakfast as we awaited the tow truck and cops. Eventually the Katy police came, took pictures, and performed their duties. The cop emailed me the pictures so thats why I have the official PETA gag gift postcard photos that are posted. They took one look at the car and asked me "how big was the thing???" The implication being that the deer had to be big for the damage caused. This was my first white-tail buck. Truthfully, I will never have any qualms with buck hunting in the winter. Lets just call it revenge. In sum, this was a freak occurrence. An omen in my opinion. Maybe a sign from the heavens or maybe from the opposite place. Regardless of what it means, I know what it was, an Aggie deer trying to take us out. And it almost did.

No comments: