8/5/08

Antigua, Guatemala


(Note: I changed the commenting settings, so no need to sign up for an ID.)

This post is going to include random information about our experience in Antigua. Pictures will generally not be associated with paragraphs because, well, we don´t have that many photos of the place. We stayed two nights in the touristy town but did not venture out to explore as has been typical of our trip.

I want to briefly make excuses for our lack of exploring Antigua, foremost out of guilt, and secondarily out of a desire to make a statement on tourists.
First excuse: We got a little sick. Second excuse: Antigua has too much of a tourist vibe. Now, one could argue that we are tourists - this is somewhat true. However, we have learned that there are generally two different kinds of travellers on these kinds of adventures. We tend to have a strong affinity for backpackers and a bitter taste for the "part timer." Without going into too much detail, the Part Timer is the kind of person that is overtly a tourist in dress, action, and demeanor. They tend to transport their own culture into the visiting location rather than make a strongly apparent attempt to adapt. Antigua is filled with these sorts. The point is made.
We arrived in Antigua in the early evening of a rainy and dreary day. As the rain neared the level of a downpour we quickly zig-zagged our way through the streets until we came across hostel ¨jungle party.¨ The name says it all. We were greated by a friendly, flirtatious, and flamboyant owner at the door who gave us a quick tour of the lively hostel. He made us aware that it was ladies night at the hostel bar so Max and I then made the decision to stay over. Let me define Ladies Night as it means at hostel Jungle Party: If males adorn the dresses that are hanging over the bar then they basically drink for free. Hence, we have ladies night. Hence, we were in bed by 10pm.

It may have been the rain or maybe the smokey cloud of cigarette smoke that hovered over my top bunk, but I ended up with a slight cold. The whole next day I had a sore throat and felt like I had a good ole traditional American cold. Max felt similar. The body needed rejuventation so most of the day was spent eating, drinking, and relaxing. I read my Legal Writing book and Max left me to get a massage/facial.

One of the best parts of Antigua is the jewelery shopping. The Mayans valued precious stones and jewels just like many people do today. Jade, turquoise, amber, and sea shells all helped to distinguish the higher classes of society. These classes included ball players, priests, kings, etc..In search of a good souvenir, I picked out a beautiful Jaguar Jade necklace and Max bought a large jade cross piece. The stones give us a strong sense of pride in our ancient heritage.

I have one more highlight that deserves mention; I may also may express just how little we did in the town. While walking around we came across two guys pushing a stalled vehicle. Although I was sick and and my body had atrophied over the 30 days travelling, I helped the Guatemantecas push the truck for a few blocks. That marked the second vehicle I pushed on the trip. Truthfully, the picture of me pushing the truck was one of the only pictures we took so I needed to include the story.

We finished up the evening forcing down a few beers - well I did - and discussing the usual world issues with our new Dutch friends. The Dutch phrases "hottie" and "you are beautiful" that Max learned from our first encounter with Dutch women in Panama have definitely been beneficial. With some light political discussion as a nightcap, we headed to bed after a long exhausting day of rest and relaxation.
The next day we would head back to Guatemala City thinking we would be headed to the beach; However, the plans would change.

No comments: