8/7/08

Panajachel, Guatemala

We got tattoos. However, they are of henna and of a temporary nature. Upon arrival in Panajachel, the morning after my Batman experience, Max and I went straight to shopping along the vendor lined streets of Panajachel. Within 5 minutes we were sitting down to get inked up. I was surprised to find the exact design that I have contemplated putting on my body for a few years now. Although the artist didn´t free-hand the piece to perfection, it came out decently representative of what I might actually get. I am 25% sure I will get the real one sometime during my life - either over the next 3 years or as part of my mid-life crisis. Suggestions are welcome.

The town of Panajachel is located along the banks of Lake Atitlan. It is set among rolling hills and mountains. The water has mirror-like qualities and the bright sun among the blue sky helps to complete the masterpiece. The draw of this place is certainly its natural beauty.
With that being said, there is very little else to do in the place besides being awed by the views and shopping the streets. We filled our day by doing both.

At night we ate a lake side dinner and then departed for drinks.

The highlight of the stop was the conversation Max and I began on the street and finished over a few Cuba Libres in the local bar. We are part of a family that, in it´s history, is not that much different than the kinds of families we have encountered along our journey. I´m not sure if it was the beauty of Panajachel or the lack of activities, but we took the opportunity that night to recognize how fortunate we were to be in that very position. We talked of our parents´youth and their struggle. Due to their hardwork we were in a place undiscovered by any other Garcia before us.
After a few cigars of an embargoed nature we headed to sleep for an early rise the next day.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Suggestion: Read about the profound significance of the Aztec symbolic world. The Mayan culture is dynamic, however heck out Tonatiuh, Tezcatlipoca and Quetzalcoatl. The Mayans inhabited the southern part and the Aztecs were in the north/central areas most often.