8/23/08

San Luis Potosi, Mexico

On this trip I have encountered the most beautiful rainbow, volcano, waterfall, pyramid, and sunset I have ever seen.  All those natural occurrences became temporarily forgotten when I entered the city of San Luis Potosi.  It is there that Max, Tex, and I would find the most beautiful women of the entire 45 day excursion.

I wish at this point there was more to offer in the way of personal experience, but
 there is not.

The town itself was surprisingly beautiful.  It was unexpected only because I have met many immigrants in the U.S. who have roots in this particular town.  I figured it must have been, well, a place that one would actually want to leave.  This was not the case.  There were beautiful plazas, churches, shopping avenues, and parks.  There was a slow pace of life, but nothing implicating the place as a monster scaring away its citizens.
Two days from home, we passed the day away eating, drinking, and window shopping.  Having already spent my money in San Miguel de Allende, it was definitely a good decision.  

During the only evening in San Luis Potosi I found myself engaged in a religious conversation in one of the
 town plazas.  A young man sat down next to me on a park bench to discuss Jesus and all the other tangents that naturally accompany a discussion of him.  Slowly but directly, the rest of his group gathered around me as well to take part in the debate.  
All in Spanish, I proceeded to defend my opinions/theories/philosophies with regard to religion and Christianity.  It was as if God sent me a final oral Spanish test to take at the end of my trip.  It was a good opportunity to practice Spanish and also pass on my logical conclusions.  Imagine 8 people huddled around me, listening, objecting, and eventually shaking their heads in understanding. It should not be an illusory image, because the event actually occurred.   On the stoned plaza, beneath the stone masoned cathedrals, I felt like a philosopher of old teaching in the School of Athens.  It was an incredible hour and a half experience that will not be forgotten.

Knowing that only one town, one blog, and 6 hours lay between me and the U.S. kept me constantly thinking of home.  At the end of a long trip you spend then last few days willing yourself to get back.  I apologize to San Luis Potosi (and even the women) for not being wholly present in mind and heart. I do promise to return to San Luis Potosi (and the women).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! Isn't San Luis Potosi gorgeous:) Yes, I must agree the women are beautiful and no I am not saying that just because my family is from there. It is truely a blessing to travel and see the different paintings God has given us to view.