8/25/08

Austin, Texas

In a few words I bring my first blog to a close.  Our experiences over the 45 day trip are deserving of a book rather than a blog post.  However, a point of completion is always necessary to any task. I encountered dynamic people, beautiful terrain, and new emotions in Central America.  By backpacking a portion of the western hemisphere I have been better able to understand myself and the world around me.  I really do not know the exact reason I undertook this trip.  It appeared challenging and somewhat unprecedented.  It seemed to offer freedom that can only be found outside the comforts of a familiar environment.  It was a way to grow closer to my beloved cousin. Most importantly, I believe, it would allow me to get closer to finding my purpose.  I am forever indebted to the people of Central America for allowing me to enter their lands as a visitor and letting me leave a better person.

On that final crossing into the United States of America Max and I stopped just before the official line marking the border.  We looked at each other, with bags on our backs, and held hands.  Together, and in unison, we stepped over the line into the United States bringing finality to the 45 days and 7 countries that were our Central America trip.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, my friend. What a journey. It seemed I was right there with you all along. Thanks for a very well written blog. :-)

Mr. C.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Mr.G, I have to tell you that your journey was an awe inspiring tale fit for both an oscar winning film as well as a new york times best selling novel. I was truly inspired by your journey, and having been to Central America I can sympathize with many of the things that you encountered. Good luck at Law school and make sure you keep in touch.

Hook em' Horns,


Steven

Elisa B said...

Welcome back Roel!

WOW! What a journey! I am grateful for your writings! Good luck with school and please do keep in touch!

Alexandra Cerutti said...

supposed to be studying for my first set of exams, but i came across your blog and decided to catch up on your adventures instead. :) what an incredible trip! and you've captured your experiences beautifully in writing and photos. very enjoyable read!

miss you lots. good luck with school -- you're going to do so great.

love, ali

Anonymous said...

Hey koko:
This is your uncle Max's father thank you for exposing Max to Central America as yo well know by now in order to be a leader you must first go into the trenches with the "People" you and Max my friends have now gone and seen how the other half lives. It now your call on this journey we call life to do domething with it. I can rest knowing that you will use said knowledge for the benefit of the invisible people. On to law school, as the journey begins.

Unknown said...

Roel;
I am extremely proud of you for having chosen to discover what is right. It is easy to discover what will pay. Your true worth has been unveiled by this journey. My heart is content. Your proper behavor towards Max and Tex and Rocio is the result of Goodness. The true test is to remain unsoured even though one's merits are unrecognized by others. This is what is expected of a descendant of Aztecs and a true warrior of God for Justice.

Love always your Dad (Roel Refugio)