8/24/08

McAllen, Texas - United States of America


We have returned to the United States of America.  

After our one night in Saltillo, among the echos of our family's past, we departed and arrived at the Reynosa -Hidalgo border crossing.  On that hot day we carried the weight of the gift bags we had filled over time along with the weight of the memories earned over the duration of the trip.  We scaled the white spiraling stairs that led to the elevated bridge which hovers over the Rio Grande.  It felt like we were ascending into the heavens.  It was the feeling a mountain climber must feel upon reaching the summit. From the bridge three beautiful images lay just over the river in clear view: The Texas flag, The American flag, and Whataburger sign.

A short and to the point stint at the border patrol office was our only stop before heading straight to eat.  The border patrol agent had a son who attended the University of Texas and our ability to make a close connection certainly helped ease our entrance.  Sweaty, hungry, and mentally drained we walked two blocks to the best cuisine that Texas has to offer - Whataburger.

For the out-of-staters, please cope with the next few sentences as they directly relate to Texans.  Max and I spoke about getting to the Mecca of all fast-food joints during our entire trip.  When food was difficult to swallow and we had thoughts of the comforts of the states Max and I would simply discuss out loud what we would order upon arriving at Whataburger.  Like the volleyball Wilson that Tom Hanks grew to love in the movie "castaway" so too did we create mental distractions in order to keep our sanity.  We have a new and solidified appreciation for American cheeseburgers and fries.

My mother picked us up from the restaurant and we headed to the hotel which we would call home for one night.  We consider it "our" hotel, as we stay in that same location upon every visit to see family in the Rio Grande Valley.

We spent the evening visiting with my grandmother who continues to live in the house where our fathers grew up.  With my new confidence with Spanish I was able to have the most 
complete conversation I have ever had with my grandmother.  One day we were in the town of my grandfather, the next day the town of my father, and in the following day we would be in my own town of Houston.

We were back, not completely acclimated, but we were back none-the-less.  I am proud to declare that we were never victims of crime.  We arrived home with what we had taken originally - a goal that I set out to attain.  I never got sick (knock on wood for future trips) reaffirming that my illogical approach toward eating while traveling is successful.  Entering the United States safe and sound with all items in tow makes a traveller want to scream in exhilaration.

Following the one night in the Valley I drove the 6 hours back home to Houston.  It was the most peaceful 6 hour trip I have ever taken.  

This post is the last pertaining to the events of the trip.  One last summary will follow.

No comments: