12/27/08

Cabalgata

The Lonely Planet guidebook could not have been more correct ever in the history of its publishing then when it stated that Cali is the Texas of Colombia. It is very much so in more ways than to which it alluded. Let me count the ways.

First, the city takes great pride in the distinctness of its culture from that of the rest of the country. Some might say that it IS its own country. I do believe that we Texans do the same and wouldnt be crushed if we were to become the Republic of Texas once again.

Second, meat is the only food group. I will likely be fighting at the light-heavyweight class upon returning home. Sausages, steaks, kabobs and arepas con todo are available at all times during the day. I ate at the same restaurant 3 days in a row because I could get soup (possibly the best I have ever had), steak, beans, rice, and a drink for about $3USD. Sorry Texas but I actually like the steaks here a bit more.

Third, the women are stunning. I will not rant about this for more than a paragraph because I dont want to give the wrong impression. However the CaleƱas may be deserving of an entire book if not at least an entire blog. They claim they are some of the beautiful in the world and I am beginning to agree. Even without the purchased assets it seems you can not look up without seeing someone that could grace the pages of a magazine. I am not even kidding here - this is a serious subject. Just another reason Cali is much like Texas.

Lastly, and most relevant to the event at hand, Cali has a ranch culture. The Cabalgata is a another Feria parade that showcases the prize horses of the region. I am not schooled in the area of stallions and mares and all that, but I could tell that these horses were extremely disciplined. The riders had a graceful control over the particular trot. Also, the crowd and riders were dressed in their cowboy best. Cowboy hats, jeans, and unbuttoned-buttoned downs were the attire of choice. The unbuttoned applied to the females as well it seemed.

I guess I could describe the horses more thoroughly, but I will just let the pictures convey the message. Right after this event I would catch a taxi to the Plaza de Toros for the bullfight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took my advice and squeezed Cali into your trip. I see it was well worth it. You enjoyed many of the great events my city offers. You got me addicted to your blog now!! ;)

MetaforikMachete said...

why the camelbak, slick?