12/24/08

Calm Cali

So I spent the entire first day checking out the city of Cali. It is a noisy bustling place, lush with high sprawling trees and palms. Cars and people move about like army ants and always in the background is some salsa echoing from one of the hundreds of bars. Imagine a college town atmosphere but without the college. It is very apparent that it lives up to its Rumba reputation. I will be able to offer more about that scene following Christmas day - the Feria de Cali is set to begin then.

Until those anticipated posts I must write about some typical events. I ran around the city in my travel style visiting churches, landmarks, and commercial centers. I have covered all main parts of the city by following the rapid river that cuts straight through the center of town.

In the evening I feasted at an Argentinian restaurant again thoroughly enjoying the flavors of South America. Post food-coma I entered the main plaza to view the city-wide christmas lights display. The entirety of the banks of the river are covered in lights and lit scenes depicting cultural aspects of Colombia.

My time here has been mellow and I can only describe it as the calm before the storm that will take place as the Feria begins. My current hostel is pleasant. We are cooking up a christmas eve barbecue with each person cooking their own dish. It seems everyone will be representing their countries with their addition. I will represent my country of Texas with bacon cheeseburgers smothered in BBQ sauce.

Side note: I am currently 2-2 in Texas Holdém while travelling. Took out some gentlemanly Englishmen last night. Cards, drinks, food and Colombia: Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Tezcatlipoca said...

Roelio,
Feliz Navida y Prospero Ano Nuevo. Espero que en este dia de Nuestro Senor te la pases bien, contento y de buen salud. Deseo que se te cumpla todos tus deseos y suenos.

Con much carino,

roel

Junrui Chang said...

Your travel notes keep showing me many places that I don't know, and keep attracting me to learn more about them. For instance, I wondered why dad Roel made comment on this post in Spanish . By learning more information about Cali, I got the answer. Maybe someday I can review these places with my painting box.
Merry Christmas.