12/25/08

Christmas Eve

On this Christmas Eve I would like to say Merry Christmas to all readers and especially to my family. Although my Christmas tree is palm rather than evergreen, my meal is made up of international dishes rather than honey baked ham, my climate is tropical rather than frigid, and my music is salsa rather than Mariah Carey´s christmas album, I am still with my family in spirit on this special occasion. So what does one do when abroad on a world-wide holiday? answer: the same thing that everyone does.

The day was spent reading, lounging, and eating. Basically, the same way I would have spent the day if I were in the states. A minor interruption included some grocery shopping for the pot-luck style dinner that we had at the hostel. With representation from Germany, Belgium, Canada, France, Australia, and Colombia we had a variety of foods that made for a satisfying feast. My BBQ bacon cheeseburgers were a hit. I used fellow Columbia Alumnus Bob KRAFT´s BBQ sauce to give the meal an extra American ingredient. Some hammock swinging helped to digest all the food, and I called it a night to be ready for a big next day.

Feliz Navidad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

merry christmas buddy. looks like you're enjoying your time there. i enjoy your updates :) stay safe roel.

Junrui Chang said...

Merry Christmas!
By a young, vital and cheerful heart and palm Christmas tree, you sent a warm message to whom that love and care of you.
The world is small, yet it is big. Say it is small, because based on the cultural diversity idea and modern technology, more and more people are starting to enjoy different culture. An example is, you enjoyed many different style food in the eve night of the most popular festival in the world. Say it big, because different still there. An example is, in Christmas, seem that more and more people prefer to go out. In China, Spring festival is biggest. And people prefer family get together to make dumpling, play fire works, etc. So with friendly attitude and the intention of communicate with each other, difference can make more colorful and better world.
Maybe some say, you can come to China to have a look.
Take care of yourself.

regarcia said...

You were missed at Christmas dinner love you