12/31/08

Cartagena Arrival

Before describing Cartagena I want to provide insight into one aspect of backpack travel - the hostel. I am always questioned about this from Americans at home. How do I find a place? what are they like? is it expensive? Answers vary, but Colombia has made the process quite easy for travellers. The guide books are outdated so one finds a hostel by word of mouth or by way of information at a hostel in another city. For instance, in Bogota the business cards of hostels in other frequently visited cities were tacked on a bulletin board. Internet is available and so is beer. Overall Colombia has had the most organized hostels of any country I have visited. Honestly, I havent paid close attention to the cost of stay at each hostel, but on average it is about $7 USD per night. They are filled with people from all over the world and it makes for a potential learning experience.

I include this hostel interlude because I had to hustle my way to find one in Cartagena. I followed my instinct to beat the traveller rush to Cartagena as the new year approaches. I arrived at the bus station in Medellin at 4pm hoping to get tickets for a 6pm bus. As I stood in line an employee of one of the bus companies approached me in a sly manner. He offered to get me on the 4;15 bus at a discount. Hesitant, yet excited to cut a deal to make things easier, I followed him directly to the bus, paid the baggage hand, and took my seat. I had no ticket but only the assurance of the conductor everything would be alright. I took their word and they kept it.

Arriving in Cartagena at 5am I had to find a place to live. The hostel at which I wanted to stay was completely full and they had no information on other places that had vacancy. So, I slept on the front couch hoping someone would check out. Not wanting to waste the morning, I eventually left my bags locked up and walked the beaches and the historic center. At 1pm I returned to find, to my relief, that one bad had opened up and I was given the reservation. My instinct to leave early and to throw on the charm with the ladies making the reservations served me well. Such are the difficulties of a backpacker.

I now find myself in Cartagena. A beach bordered city much like Panama City, Panama. The beach is not beautiful, but it is the proximity to colonial Cartagena that gives it an appeal. The new year has attracted tourists from all over the world and from within Colombia as well. There is an excitement in the air and I feel that that tonight will be eventful.

I caught up on sleep last night in preparation for the evening´s festivities. I always found it intriguing when the television coverage of new years in the US would show live feeds of major cities around the world. This will be my first New Year outside of my country.

4 comments:

Junrui Chang said...

Obviously you can't write all you saw in your travel kingdom. That's good idea of combining pictures and words. By the former, you show your civil beautiful beach, colorful flower market, and another Botero's work. By the latter, you show us dynamic spectacle. Life is this way, with some sides, you can see beautiful, and also you can see something hard on some other sides.
Dad Roel sent you little bit money for help because he wants to see you success on your planed trip. And you must can feel that everyone that loves you is very proud of you for your exploring.

Anonymous said...

hey koki, Happy new year! Thank you for sharing your travels with us, we really feel we are there with you. We wish you a year full of love, peace and health. Stay safe and we look forward to seeing you soon! love, Casillas family #1

Anonymous said...

turning on your charm huh? thank goodness there was space for you!!

angiebaby said...

I have a mini version of that same sculpture in Cartagena on my console table to remind me that 1) big bottoms like mine are like great art and 2) of the fun I had running around the colonial city. Again a pleasure to read your writings and feel like we are right there with ya. Have fun on the coast and have an Aguila or two and a glass of Old Parr for me as a toast to 2009! -Angie