8/30/11

"Throw it back"

The museum was replete with Egyptian and Greek artifacts. The collection was extensive completely filling room after room in the palace-like wings of the museum. It took only five minutes of viewing the collection of ancient pieces to ask myself: How is it that I am looking at Egyptian art in Austria? I was looking at important cultural pieces of another country’s history. I thought shouldn’t they give all this stuff back??? I decided to chill out, reminded myself I should just enjoy the experience, and proceeded on the visit. Not but 15 minutes later Samir, without suggestion, insinuation or provocation on my end, said, matter of factly, “they should give this stuff all back.” The opinion reflects one way I view the world on my travels. It seems my new travel partner suffers from the same affliction.

No comments: