6/10/09

The Colosseum

Train station.  Hotel. No shower. A quick lamb kebab. Metro stairs down. Metro. Metro stairs up. And then there it was.  I stepped out in the bright sun light from the dirty underground subway station and there was the stadium from antiquity.  A life's goal accomplished in an immediate instant.  I was pretty much silent until inside.  I paid for the only guided tour I will take on this entire trip, for  I didn't want to miss out on one fact or detail.  My mind got away from me. I imagined myself as both spectator and participant below.  Max asked me why if Rome was so great then why did it no longer exist.  Greatness doesn't last I said.  Never has, never will.  It won't, but remnants will remain.  The greatness of what was Rome remains in the form of a half crumbled stadium - the most infamous in all of sport.  And I have now seen it, with my own eyes.





1 comment:

Tezcatlipoca said...

Garcia Gladiators. A great pic.