6/6/09

Monterrosso - Cinque Terre

When I asked for recommendations for places to visit I had alot of friends recommend the Cinque Terre of the Italian Riviera.  It seems to be everyones' off-the-beaten-track-secret thats not-so-secret. The 5 Terre is made up of 5 towns that ornament the Mediterranean coast. Regardless, it was a great rec and Max and I enjoyed our relaxing two days.  The first night was awful however.  I thought it would be wise to take the 4 hour train to arrive at midnight.  The plan was to wait out the morning at the station so that we could save the 30 euro on a nights stay.  After train hopping, I was able to navigate us to our destination, and we walked into the city among drunk backpackers returning home.  Of course, no one was in the office at our desired hotel, so we slept below the stairs just inside.  This beach town must have broken its record cold for the night.  Hungry, sweaty, and cold - and at this point no clean clothes means no underwear - I/we endured a hell of an 8 hours.  Yeah, no one showed up until 8am.  I will never again sacrifice a bed to save one nights cost of stay. (I said this before about a night in Manzanillo, Mexico, after being kissed by a prostitute, getting rained on, and staying up all night in un-airconditioned bus station.) These pics are of the town in which we called home for the 2 1/2 nights.

No comments: